Share |

Mushroom peppers and onion pot stickers - Vegan friendly

So I have a new blog I love to go look at... Vegan Yum Yum (thank you Niki for telling me about it!!). It's amazing!! I mean I love to eat meat but I can totally appreciate all the things she has cooking over there! Delicious. Plus with a bunch of vegan friends it's only fair I put up some recipes they can use! While perusing her pages I came up with a ton of great ideas of my own, and bookmarked a bunch of recipes to try in the future.

Inspired by all the tasty vegan recipes I started thinking iron chef style about what vegan friendly items I had at home on hand and what exactly I was going to make for dinner after hitting the gym... My mind wandered, hmmm there is a green pepper, a red onion, broccoli, I have some cans of all types of beans (chick, black,red, black eye), a can of mushrooms, miso paste, wanton wrappers... Eureka! Also on Vegan Yum Yum's pages were a bunch of recipes for pot stickers. They looked delicious and I figured with all the random ingredients I had... I could totally make up a tasty on the fly vegan pot sticker! So after a night of lifting upper body (back, bi's, tri's, chest) and a short 30 min. stint on the elyptical I came home and started pulling things out... what I ended up with... an AMAZING recipe that I will totally make again! Here it goes!


Mushroom peppers and onion pot stickers
1 can sliced mushrooms, drained, rinsed, and chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1-2 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbs light soy sauce
1 Tbs Tamari sauce
2 tsp hot chili oil (I use the kind that has pieces of pepper and seeds floating in it (use 1 Tbs. if you don't want it too spicy)
20-24 wanton wrappers
1 cup water
Tamari sauce for dipping

Heat a large non stick pan, once hot add a drizzle of olive oil then the onions and peppers, stir until mostly cooked then add mushrooms. Add soy sauce, tamari, and chili oil. Stir to mix. Once everything is cooked through remove from heat and start assembling the pot stickers.

You'll want to place about 1 heaping tablespoon of mixture into the center of each wanton wrapper, then using your fingers cup it up into a little bouquet. It's ok if some of the stuffing is puffing out the top. (the juice from the stuffing will help the wrapper stick to itself)

Once they are all assembled place the same large pan back onto medium heat (you may or may not need to add another drizzle of olive oil) and place pot stickers fat bottom side down. Cook a few minutes until bottoms are nice and browned. At this point pour a cup or so of water into the pan and cover immediately.


This allows the wanton wrappers to steam cook, the water should all boil off within 5-7 minutes, careful if you let all the water boil off the bottoms will start to burn. Once the wrappers are cooked, remove from heat and serve with a little side of tamari sauce. ( I had to do mine in two batches since I don't have a crazy huge pan, also you want to let them have some breathing room from each other so they don't stick together)

Chow!

0 chews:

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.