Share |

Biscuits with jam


All I have to say is YUM...

ok who are we kidding since when am I one for few words! ha! I saw this recipe earlier this week looking through Bread & Honey and I fell in love. You see I've never actually made biscuits... Bisquick ones, sure, but do those really count? These seemed so simple and easy I just HAD to make them!

Another reason I had to make them is due to little Walton's nickname. Before we knew who was growing in my sister's belly we called him biscuit, which I think is just a fantastic name for a little baby in a belly! Ok time for another adorable Walton shot!

Ahh doesn't that just make you feel better? :)

Ok as for the biscuits, I made a half recipe since I knew I would chow them all in one sitting. I came out with 5 biscuits all of which were phonominal with a little of my homemade raspberry jam slatherd on them! Mmmmmmmm maybe I should go make some more.... man these things are good!!

As per usual I changed the recipe up a little by adding in some whole wheat flour. Here is my version of half the recipe!


Buttermilk biscuits
3/4 cup bread flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp flour enhancer
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
3 Tbs cold butter
4oz skim milk + squirt lemon juice (let stand 5 minutes to turn milk sour) (or just use buttermilk if you have it on hand instead of making it like me)

Directions (taken direct from bread & honey)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl, or in the bowl of a food processor. Cut the butter into chunks and cut into the flour until it resembles course meal. If using a food processor, just pulse a few times until this consistency is achieved. Add the buttermilk and mix JUST until combined. If it appears on the dry side, add a bit more buttermilk.

Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Gently, gently PAT (do NOT roll with a rolling pin) the dough out until it's about 1/2" thick. Use a round cutter (or the rim of a small glass) to cut into rounds. You can gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, but they will not be anywhere near as good as the first ones.

Place the biscuits on a cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like"crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together. Bake for about 10-12 minutes- the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom. Do not overbake.

*Note: The key to real biscuits is not in the ingredients, but in the handling of the dough.

5 chews:

Meg said...

Oh man...pass me some biscuits! They look so yummy! Cute nickname for Walton!

Unknown said...

Would they be tough if I used all white whole wheat flour? What is flour enhancer? Walton is a cutey pie.

stephchows said...

I normally use all whole wheat flour, but when it comes to breads and such I like to ease into it a bit so I don't make them too tough. If you try it with all white whole wheat let me know how it comes out! I may try using whole wheat pastry flour next time. The flour enhancer is something you can get online at King Aurthur, it's supposed to help whole grain dough. Here's the link
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?id=1576

Reeni said...

What an adorable baby! The biscuits sound good, too.

Meg said...

Oh man...pass me some biscuits! They look so yummy! Cute nickname for Walton!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.