Share |

Fudgy roasted banana cake with walnuts and chocolate chips


It was John's birthday on Saturday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! So this past weekend was full of baking :) Since I already gave him his presents (Disturbed concert the previous weekend *insert head banging here*, and part of a wide screen TV (the other part was for Christmas lol)) I wanted to give him SOMETHING on his birthday...so I told him I'd bake him as much and whatever he wanted. We started thinking up what to bake friday night. Here's our list

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Poose Cookies (which I updated by taking 1/2 cup flour out and subbing in 1/2 cup chocolate protein powder... they were DELICIOUS!)
Pumpkin Muffins
Roasted Banana Muffins (but something a little different then the usual)
Skinny Boston Cream Pie (postponed till next weekend)

Can you tell I love to bake?? We also made a ton of good chow, went out to Sinbads for dinner on his birthday (which we totally realized was also the 3 year anniversary of the first time we went out for lunch together haha. Just friends at that point, a big group of us from the gym went to celebrate his birthday, who would have ever guessed we'd be where we are now! EEEEE! :D ). And of course we had to take a trip to Leaf and Bean for a mint mocha latte light for John and a chocolate raspberry coffee for me, yum!

We really are such party animals, I'm an old lady at the ripe age of 27 lol. So here's the new interpretation of my Roasted Banana Muffins! I deleted a few things, added some cocoa, some walnuts, and baked it in a ceramic pie plate.

how cute is the little snowman nose poking out from the bottom of the pie plate

Fudgy roasted banana cake with walnuts and chocolate chips
created by stephchows

4 roasted bananas (see below for how to)
1/4 cup splenda blend for baking (or 1/2 cup white sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Hershey's Cocoa
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips (i used semi-sweet chips)
1/2 cup walnuts (optional for those of you with nut alergies... yes Neva that's you :) )

ROAST whole bananas (yellow with a few black spots, they don't have to be totally overripe) by placing on a cookie sheet, roast in 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes (until they are black), cool until you are able to handle them without burning yourself.

WHISK flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl.

PEEL bananas and place into a large bowl along with any liquid that pours out with them, stir in sugar, beat in egg.

ADD dry ingredients a little at a time to wet.

POUR into greased ceramic pie plate and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.


CHOW!!!! And hide this cake... it's possible it was totally demolished over the course of one day. Good thing we work out a lot :D haha!

10 chews:

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, but you do know that Splenda is actually NOT healthy, right? H ave you tried baking with natural alternative sweeteners?

stephchows said...

Veggie Wedgie - your name rocks btw. As for Splenda, there are a ton of conflicting studies about it. And I can see both sides of the argument for sure. I go by "everything in moderation" I try to limit my use of most sugars both natural and processed. I know there are a lot of people who wont use splenda, so I put in conversions, and I've definitely baked using honey and maple syrup before with great tastes. I mainly use Splenda to try to limit my sugar intake. Diabetes is pretty prevalent in my family so in general I try to eat a high fiber low sugar diet, but as Nana said "everything in moderation" :D Splenda allows me to eat more sweets then I otherwise would be able to, but adding in other fruit to sweeten along with whole grains is always a good boost :)

Sara said...

I have never roasted bananas before, but it sounds like such a great idea. This looks delicious.

Meg said...

Fabulous creation! I love it! Bananas and fudge go so well together.

Anonymous said...

I use Splenda too, and am glad you list both options. I think it's less unhealthy than sugar (or agave syrup or whatever). :)

Caddie

Reeni said...

You've been baking up a storm!! I am loving the roasted bananas cake. It looks so rich and fudgy, yummmy!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, sounds like comfort food sort of dessert to me, which is perfect for the terrible winter weather we've been having!

Olivia said...

I like your cute little dish that you made the cake in!

Donna-FFW said...

Roasted bananas and fudgy chocolate, this sure looks so very decadent and delicious!! GREAT idea!

Donna-FFW said...

Roasted bananas and fudgy chocolate, this sure looks so very decadent and delicious!! GREAT idea!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.