Share |

“It must be jelly cuz jam don’t shake like that”

Today's post is brought to you by John :)

I don’t like to be forced into things. I like to do things, such as cook, when I damn well please. Well, to make 24/24/24 ‘quota’, Steph said that I “damn well better be pleased” last Saturday, because I was making something utilizing the blessed strawberry (at least it wasn’t that rhubarb nastiness). Well let me drop something on you: strawberries are (arguably) used in only 2 things: salads, and baked goods/desserts. For the uninitiated, the negative connotations here are ‘mixing fruit and vegetables’ (salad), and ‘time-consuming’ (baked goods). And, let’s be honest, sometimes the spirit is willing, but the flesh, well, the flesh wants to take a good ole nap every now and again.

I don’t know if my proximity to the ‘Jello Museum’ (I kid you not http://www.jellogallery.org/) in LeRoy, NY (about a 30 min drive, door to door) had any influence whatsoever, but sweet salvation came in the form of one Jell-O pie. Why is that, you might ask. A fair question. Because nothing says ‘simple’ like Jell-O pie.



Somewhere between “Fat Albert” and “Heathcliff Huxtable”, comedian/entertainer Bill Cosby was hawking all things Jell-O, big-time:



This particular commercial is hilarious for obvious reasons, but also quite apropos: I am pretty much an amalgamation of both kids in how I ‘relate’ to what Steph cooks; I will inhale it out of control, and then tease that she hasn’t made something in forever, even if it was last week :)=)

So I grabbed some strawberries, a box of fatfreesugarfree strawberry Jell-O, a nonfat strawberry yogurt, and some fatfreesugarfree cool whip. And a (purchased, pre-made) chocolate graham cracker crust (how’s that for full disclosure?). Now for the tough part. You throw all the ingredients into a blender, sans the crust and cool whip. I think I added some milk too. Oh yeah, Steph made the Jell-O for me first. So it was somewhat firm when I tossed it into the blender. Once blended, into a big bowl it went. Slowly mixed in cool whip, blending it with a thingy.. I don’t know what it was, but it wasn’t a spoon. Save a little cool whip for garnish, if you so desire. Then pour into the graham cracker crust, and chill for like 4 hours I guess. Done & done.

Postscript: Oh! Oh, how they raved!! Actually it was pretty good; the real strawberries made for unbelievable taste. And the title of this blog? Just a hilarious quote my buddy Paul says that I remembered when thinking about how Jell-O wiggles, or weebles wobbles (but doesn’t fall down). Who knew it was a song, done up by the one and only Glenn Miller Orchestra here (this is AWESOME).



I need this at my wedding.

16 chews:

Sunshine said...

You are hysterical, John! Steph is one lucky lady. Thanks for the very informative and instructive recipe...

Meg said...

What a fun fun post! Brought back many childhood Jello memories!

Maria said...

Great post! I've never been a huge Jello fan but everyone in UT loves it. It is the state food or something like that:)

Jeanne said...

I know I should comment on the recipe (which looks fabulous, by the way) but are you seriously trying to tell me that you don't like rhubarb?! Inconceivable! Maybe rhubarb is a little tart raw, but it is so good in baking! You have got to try it in muffins or a crisp or a pie! Or jam!

Maria said...

Hilarious John! I love it when you are the guest blogger! :)

I echo the sentiments ... love it when you guest blog, John! The pie looks delicious and not least because you wisely paired it with that chocolate crust. Yum!

Anne said...

Hilarious post! John, you are too funny ;) And that pie looks good, especially with that yummy crust!

ahah this has to be one of the funniest post!
the pie looks amazing!

Reeni said...

Cold strawberry pie sounds wonderful! And it's so pretty!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! Steph and John are one rockin' couple!
Man...love the pretty in pink pie!

Astra Libris said...

I love the guest posts, John! You're always great at making me laugh! :-) I love your description of making the pie, and oh my goodness, does your pie sound scrumptious, too! The perfect summer dessert! Thank you for sharing the story with us! :-)

Lo said...

Oh, gosh. Loving that lovely pie. And I'm LOLing over the memories brought back by that Bill Cosby recording. So fun! (and I'm not even a big jello fan!)

Special K said...

I am totally digging the pink color....maybe use it as a topping on salad???
Thanks for the shout out about my giveaway!
http://thespecialktreatment.wordpress.com/

Special K said...

I am totally digging the pink color....maybe use it as a topping on salad???
Thanks for the shout out about my giveaway!
http://thespecialktreatment.wordpress.com/

Reeni♥ said...

Cold strawberry pie sounds wonderful! And it's so pretty!

ahah this has to be one of the funniest post!
the pie looks amazing!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.