Share |

Quinoa Pudding

I had high hopes for this recipe, I really did. I love quinoa, and I love rice pudding... put them together... what's not to love??? I'll tell you what's not to love... a pudding that ends up watery and not creamy... Truth be told this may be my fault and not the recipes... you see I used almond milk instead of skim milk... perhaps that was the issue?


Not looking so appetizing huh?


The thing is the flavor was good... it just looks disgusting... and the texture was definitely a bit offputting... I need to try this again with skim milk. If anyone tries it first... let me know! :)

You can find the recipe here. I added raisins and dried figs to mine (mmm figs).

27 chews:

Astra Libris said...

I must say it sounds wonderful! :-) I probably would have used almond milk instead of skim milk too - I think the almond milk sounds wonderful (I have a total weakness for almond milk... :-) I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the revision with the skim milk, because I am SO excited about the idea of a quinoa pudding!!!

Rhandi said...

So sad! I saw the title and got really excited! Maybe I will have to do some experimenting. I will let you know if I have any success. Love your blog, I found it via the blogroll. I am excited to browse through.

Anne said...

It definitely does sound wonderful! Too bad it didn't work out all that well.

Oh well... not everything works the way we hope. At least you make tons of other fabulous things!

I've never made quinoa before, but I saw a recipe yesterday (I think in Food & Wine) for quinoa with bacon, so I'm planning to make that my first quinoa cooking experience!

Ang said...

Sorry it didn't work out! I once tried a no-bake cheesecake recipe with soy milk instead of skim and it turned all watery so maybe it's a consistency issue? Sounds so good so hopefully it works out next time!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of quinoa pudding, it sounds delicious especially with figs!

Don't you just hate it when a recipe doesn't turn out the way you'd anticipated it to? I would have totally thought that the almond milk would have worked too.

Pam said...

What a bummer. I love quinoa too but never thought to make a rice pudding out of it.

Jeanne said...

I've had quinoa pudding before (I didn't make it) and it was pretty good. It was like a nutty rice pudding. I wonder why yours didn't turn out. Try skim milk?

Anonymous said...

I love how you can be honest about your recipes. Thanks.

Yep, that almond milk probably reacted different but it was a great idea! Such a bummer when things don't turn out as hoped!

Sarah Glova said...

oh no!! well, at least you have an idea of why it went wrong; a lot of times my disasters are just utterly unexplainable :)

at least the flavors were good!! That's a start!!! :)

Well at least it tasted good!!!

Maria said...

I am glad you added raisins and figs....Mmmm!

It definitely sounds delicious. Taste always comes first in my book! ~ Belle

Jenny said...

sometimes the ugliest of foods is the tastiest.. case and point: split pea soup.

You win some and you lose some! If all kitchen adventures came out spot on, it wouldn't be too interesting--I find almond milk definitely doesn't hold things up as well as skim milk. Sad, because I love Almond Breeze in everything!

Hannah said...

I too have been underwhelmed by quinoa pudding before... I don't know, I guess it's just too savory for me to get around. You're definitely not alone though!

What a unique recipe! Lovely!

I love quinoa so much so I bet I'd love this recipe. I'll have to remember to try this!

Christina said...

oooh,yeah, definitely need milk i think. the fat in the milk will help thicken that right up and improve the texture (i'm guessing here!)

Velva said...

Okay, it was an almost success. I love pudding! I just discovered quinoa and love it! I can see why you would want to make this healthy version of pudding. I think you should try again-Don't give up!

Steph said...

I'm obsessed with rice pudding. It's so interesting to try this with quinoa.

oh no!! well, at least you have an idea of why it went wrong; a lot of times my disasters are just utterly unexplainable :)

at least the flavors were good!! That's a start!!! :)

Megan said...

Oh well... not everything works the way we hope. At least you make tons of other fabulous things!

I've never made quinoa before, but I saw a recipe yesterday (I think in Food & Wine) for quinoa with bacon, so I'm planning to make that my first quinoa cooking experience!

Jeanne said...

I've had quinoa pudding before (I didn't make it) and it was pretty good. It was like a nutty rice pudding. I wonder why yours didn't turn out. Try skim milk?

Anne said...

It definitely does sound wonderful! Too bad it didn't work out all that well.

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.