Share |

Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread


I've said it before... and I'll say it again, there is nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread wafting through the house. I'm addicted to it, seriously. I saw this recipe and knew I had to make it, and I was off to kneading first thing. You may be wondering... why didn't you use your stand mixer... because I was at John's... and my stand mixer was at my house.. booo Really though this wasn't bad to do by hand, so don't give the excuse of not having a mixer for not making it! :D


Since this was my first time making cinnamon raisin bread I figured I'd stick to the recipe... well mostly to the recipe :D Next time this is getting some whole wheat flour for sure! Things I changed up...

Added 1 tsp of cinnamon to the dough
Used agave nectar instead of maple syrup
Added more raisins... LOVE raisins. and soaked them in amaretto... (what why are you looking at me like that... tasty!)

Agave spread out on the dough

Another helpful hint... We keep our house on the cool side... so it's not very conducive to having bread rise. If you are in the same camp here's what you should do. Before you start kneading your bread put a bowl of water in the microwave and set it for 10 minutes. Once you are done kneading place your bread in a big bowl and cover with a towel, open up the microwave door and quickly put your bowl in, close the door (this way you don't let out all the nice hot air). The warm/humid environment will help your bread puff up perfectly!


I mean look at my cute baby?? I'm such a proud mama.



Cinnamon Raisin Bread
Slightly adapted from Sugar Plum

2 tablespoons + 1/4 teaspoon dry active yeast
1 teaspoon granulated sugar + 1/4 cup
3/4 cup warm milk (not hot)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons agave + 2 tablespoons (she used pure maple syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt (she used 1/2 teaspoon salt)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (I just realized I used melted butter... worked fine!)
3 1/4 cups bread flour, plus additional for rolling
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I added another tsp into the dough in addition)
1/2 cup raisins (I soaked mine in amaretto for a few hours.. YUM!)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and warm milk until well combined; allow to sit 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, egg, 3 tablespoons maple syrup (agave), vanilla, salt, and butter, and mix using a dough hook, until well combined - about 1-2 minutes. Add flour and mix on medium speed for 10 minutes.

Remove dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for an additional 8 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, place in a greased bowl, lightly cover, and allow to rise in a warm area for 1 1/2 hours.

In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins until combined.
Roll dough out using a rolling pin, into a rectangle, 1/4-inch thick. Brush remaining 2 tablespoons syrup (agave) over dough. Sprinkle raisin mixture over dough. Roll up, jellyroll style, pinch and tuck ends under, and place in a greased loaf pan. Lightly cover and allow to rise in a warm area for 45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together an egg and a teaspoon of water and brush over the top of bread (optional). Bake for 40-45 minutes or until deep golden brown and well risen. Cover with foil if bread browns too quickly. Cool for 30 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.


Want more chow like what you just read? You can subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!

20 chews:

Unknown said...

O seriously yum!
No wonder you feel, and look, like a proud mum!
It;s gorgeous!

Wow, this bread is gorgeous! I have a feeling it tastes even better than it looks! :)

Ang said...

That bread is so pretty! :) Looks delicious!

Lucy said...

Your bread is beautiful - I adore the idea of amaretto soaked raisins, genius. The microwave idea is so clever, will definitely try it out!

Jeanne said...

OMG. That bread looks SOOO good. I bet those raisins were to die for! I definitely have to try making this sometime.

omg this bread not only looks fantastic but it is so beautiful!! cinnamon raisin in one of my all time faves and I just neverhave it anymore!!

Unknown said...

i'm with you on the amaretto :)

You know how much I adore homemade bread of any kind. Your cinnamon bread looks spectacular.

Anonymous said...

OMG! This looks soooooo good. I'll take a piece please :-)

Sarah Glova said...

the microwave-for-dough idea is amazing! I'd heard a similar idea-- boiling water in a pan on the bottom rack of the oven, dough in a bowl on top-- but the microwave is a smaller space and then my oven would be free for use :)

bread looks aaaaaaamazing!

Juliana said...

What a nice looking bread! Love the swirl of cinnamon and raisins...yummie :-)

Kathleen said...

This bread is sooo beautiful! Congratulations Mama!!!

Christina said...

this was one of my very favorite breakfast foods as a child. yummy!

Lisa said...

this looks amazing! I love cinnamon rainsin bread.

Anonymous said...

The bread looks fantastic! Love the cinnamon raisin flavor!

Um. How did I miss this??? It looks . . . PERFECT. :)

Reeni said...

What a perfect loaf of bread! It's so beautiful! I bet it's scrumptious.

Carsten said...

Hi, I just followed you on Twitter. You have a really nice blog. Please connect with us on our social food & wine network @ http://www.tasteandshare.com and share links and posts from your blog.

After seeing the beautiful picture of this bread as the profile picture, I immediately searched through your site to find this post! I've been looking for good cinnamon swirl bread recipes because I'm hoping to make a loaf soon, and I just couldn't pass this picture up. It looks great!

Joy said...

O seriously yum!
No wonder you feel, and look, like a proud mum!
It;s gorgeous!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.