Share |

Melty Cheesy Ooey Gooey

Tell someone you are using 75% reduced fat cheese in their meal and they might say what you made was "ok". Don't tell them and just use Cabot light and extra light cheeses and they will exclaim how delicious the meal was. True story! I was super excited to try Cabot's new reduced fat cheeses. I got a nice hunk of Sharp Extra Light Cheddar (75% reduced fat), and a hunk of  Jalepeno Light Cheddar (50% reduced fat). (click the link to see nutritional facts)
cabbotsammie
I must admit I loved Cabot even before they sent me some cheese, they are my go to extra sharp cheddar when setting up a cheese platter at a party. I'd never given their lower fat options a try until now, not sure why I waited so long because they rocked!

I've dealt with reduced fat cheese before that more closely resembled plastic than cheese when it was melted. Not at all the case with either the 50% or 75% reduced fat varieties of Cabot. I've been using both in everything from frittatas to paninis to just eating it straight up as a snack.
frittata
If you are looking to cut down on calories but still get some delicious cheesy taste I would totally grab some of Cabot's varieties, they melt, slice, and taste delicious!

I made the below recipe for a group and they were none the wiser to the 75% reduced fat cheese spiking their breakfast. :) Win win situation if you ask me.

Veggie frittata
recipe by steph chows

6 eggs
6 egg whites
1.5 cups skim milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 small red onion chopped
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped red/yellow/orange peppers
3-4 artichoke hearts chopped (I bought canned ones)
1/2 block Cabot extra light cheddar (shredded) 

In a medium pan cook veggies until lightly browned and cooked through, set aside to cool. Beat eggs, egg whites, and milk in a large bowl. In a deep 9x9 greased pan pour in egg mixture. Sprinkle veggies and cheese all over (some will sink some will float on top). Bake in a preheated oven for 40 minutes or until cooked through.

Cabot provided me with 2 samples of their cheeses, but the opinions voiced here are all mine.



Your email will never be displayed publicly, so don't be scared to comment! :) Oh and make sure you type in your blog link so I can click over to you! There is a spot you can type it in.

1 chews:

Tracy said...

Mmm this frittata looks awesome - and hearty and filling, too! Yum!!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.