Share |

King Cake

I mentioned awhile back that we celebrated Epiphany with our friends Paul, Kim, and their daughter (John's God daughter) Nina. The Epiphany celebration is a very big thing in Columbia, and Paul and Kim want to teach Nina about where she was born.

Part of the celebration revolves around King Cake! I'd never had it before but am all about any celebration that revolves around chow :) I totally fell in love with this cake. It's light and the yeast base adds so much depth to its flavors. If you've never made it or tried it, you should! Not the healthiest thing around (what's that you say??? how many sticks of butter??), but hey, as long as you don't eat the whole thing... ;)

Nina and her buddy Gabe decorated the cake. I think they did a marvelous job!

King Cake recipe from Emeril

11 chews:

Anonymous said...

The glaze looks delicious! Anything with yeast and sugar has my name on it :).

Megan said...

l always think I'll make this cake but never has. They are always so pretty and yours in no exception!

How interesting that King Cake is used for Epiphany celebrations in Columbia ... I've only ever heard of it in relation to Mardi Gras. Its one of those foods that I can't believe I've never tried. Sure looks yummy though!

So king cake is rather multi-facted. Interesting facts to learn this Friday. We'll take a bite!

Olivia said...

I feel inclined to throw some beads at the cake. And about the butter, who cares? I'm actually (oddly enough) a real health freak when it comes to everything but dessert, but if you're going to eat a dessert...expect it not to be good for you. Run an extra mile; it's always worth it.

stephchows said...

Sophie, Megan and olivia glad you like the looks of it!!

Diva and Duo, I never knew it was for epiphany either until this past year :) Hey any reason to chow right ;)

Anonymous said...

Best part:

"I'd never had it before but am all about any celebration that revolves around chow :)"

AGREED!!!

Anonymous said...

So who got the baby in the cake?!

Reeni said...

I love King Cakes!!

Anonymous said...

Your king cake is beautiful! Very interesting to learn about Epiphany.

Sophie said...

The glaze looks delicious! Anything with yeast and sugar has my name on it :).

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.