Share |

Double chocolate cupcakes with amaretto sauce




Bring on the amaretto! Wendy came over to join in the cupcake making fun :) I had everything laid out and ready to go for my double chocolate cupcakes with amaretto sauce.

Here is the recipe for the cupcakes.


Double chocolate cupcakes

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup granulated splenda mix for baking
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup egg substitute or 4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons skim milk
2 tablespoons half and half
2 ounces dark (70 percent cocoa) chocolate, finely chopped plus a little extra for shaving


Preheat oven to 350°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir with a whisk.

Place splenda and apple sauce in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined. Add egg substitute and vanilla, beating well. Add flour mixture and milks alternately to granulated sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in chocolate. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups lined with muffin cup liners. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.


While the cupcakes are cooking it's time to make the amaretto sauce!

Amaretto chocolate sauce


Ingredients

1/3 cup half and half
2/3 cup milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup amaretto

Bring half and half to a boil in a saucepan, add chocolate chips and stir constantly until melted. Remove from heat and pour in amaretto, stir until incorporated. Place in the refrigerator to let it cool (about 20 minutes).


Once the cupcakes are cool enough so you don't burn yourself trying to eat one :) Poke a few holes in the center of them (I use a skewer) and pour the amaretto sauce into the holes letting it overflow and cover the cupcakes. Take some leftover dark chocolate squares and using a vegetable peeler shave some chocolate on top of the cupcakes.

Sit back and enjoy!


oh so tasty!!


the aftermath!

6 chews:

Ketutar said...

Ooooooh.... ooouuuhh.... I'm on Atkins... :´(

Ken Liska said...

You have my address. When can I expect my shipment? :)

Those looks SOOO yummy :)

Shelley

I love having a healthier option! (kinda.sorta.)Amaretto is one of my faves too. Can't wait to try these babies out. Thanks for the great entry!

Ketutar said...

Ooooooh.... ooouuuhh.... I'm on Atkins... :´(

Kenneth said...

You have my address. When can I expect my shipment? :)

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.