Share |

A little soup to go with your bread?

Soup... that's the stuff you dip your bread in right?


I love pea soup and recently saw a recipe at cuisinivity for pea soup involving sweet potatoes and coconut milk... sounded good to me so I gave it a go!

I wasn't 100% sure if I would like the coconut milk addition or not... and good news, you add it at the end. So I made up the soup one night, put it in the fridge and the following night took out one serving and added the coconut milk to that and warmed it up... that way I still had the rest of the soup saved if I didn't like the coconut :) And it's not that I didn't like it... I just couldn't taste it? Anyone else have this problem?? It was just adding calories and fat... and no taste?? Totally disappointing. The soup on its own though was wicked tasty. So I'd make it again... just leave out the coconut milk :)


Split Peas, Sweet Potato and Coconut Milk Soup
recipe from cuisinivity

1 cup split peas
2 medium sweet potatoes ..... pealed and diced
1 medium onion ..... chopped
2 cloves garlic ..... minced
1 teaspoon ginger ..... minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can coconut milk
5 cups stock (chicken or veggies)

1. In a large soup pot, put 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute garlic, ginger and onion in medium heat until onion is translucent.

2. Add split peas and sweet potatoes and sauteed another minute.

3. Add cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper then add stock. Bring to boil and turn heat down to low and simmer until sweet potatoes and split peas are tender for 40 minutes. Add some more water if needed while cooking potatoes and peas.

4. Take out bay leave from the pan. Use a blender to puree the peas and potato mixture and then put puree back to a pan.

5. Add coconut milk and mix well. Simmer until it whams up. Adjust with salt and pepper if you like.

4 chews:

Meg said...

All my faves in this one! I will have to try it!

The texture of that soup is really awesome. So thick and scoopable! And of course you've got one of our FAVES in there--sweet potatoes! We just whipped up quesadillas with sweet potatoes, and they were out of this world. Yay sweet taters!

stephchows said...

Soup is seriously the best comfort food, ESPECIALLY if it's crazy thick :) perfect for dipping! :D

zlamushka said...

Gosh,m hwat a lovely soup. I ve been hooked up on soups lately, as it is sooooo cold here in Denmark ...

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.