Share |

Rock your socks off jam

Raspberry jam is one of my favorites to make, it was the first jam I ever made, and it couldn't be easier. Raspberries + sugar = done. So why mess with something so good? Because adding heat to things makes life more interesting! Sweet and spicy have always been a great pair, so why not with jam?
raspberries
PS. Just a few days left to sign up for this years Jam Exchange! So get moving! (You have until July 31st to do so, otherwise you'll have to wait until next year!).
spicyjam
Raspberry Jalapeno Jam
recipe based on Simple Bites
(the only difference is I left out the lemon, since I didn't have any. whoops? still tasty and firmed up fine without it! and I used more jalapeno for some added kick!)

3 cups raspberries (approximately 1 1/2 pounds)
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1 jalapeno, sliced along the sides ( I used 2, cause I'm spicy!)
1/2 lemon, juiced

  • Prepare a small canning pot and two half pint jars. Place lids in a small saucepan of water and bring to a bare simmer.
  • In a medium bowl, combine the raspberries and sugar. Using a wooden spoon, stir the sugar into the fruit, mashing the fruit up a bit as you go.
  • Once the raspberries begin to release some juice and the sugar is starting to dissolve, scrape the fruit and sugar mixture into a wide, 4-quart saucepan. Add the jalapeno.
  • Bring the jam to a boil over high heat, stirring regularly, until the berries break down and the syrup thickens. You should smell both the sweetness of the sugar and the heat of the chili.
  • Once the jam has thickened to a spreadable consistency and passes the plate test, add the lemon juice.
  • Remove pan from the heat and fish out the wilted jalapeno. Funnel the finished jam into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims, apply lids and rings and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
  • When jars are cool, remove rings and test seals. Any unsealed jars should be stored in the refrigerator.

Your email will never be displayed publicly, so don't be scared to comment! :) Oh and make sure you type in your blog link so I can click over to you! There is a spot you can type it in.

6 chews:

Raspberry jam with jalapenos? Wow nice. I don't do spice but I'm sure I'd totally love this!

Amanda said...

I also made three jellies tonight (Blueberry, Pomegranate and Lime & Lemon Basil) - I can't wait for the exchange!

Tracy said...

Raspberry Jalapeno is on my list for this year, too! Yours looks delicious. :-)

Bee said...

I still need to get on this dang jam train. I still have yet to try and make any! Maybe by next year I'll be an expert and can exchange some jams with y'alls.

Hannah said...

What stunning beauties those berries on the vine are! They're easily my favorite berry, and I can rarely sacrifice so many of the fresh ones to make jam. The addition of jalepeno here sounds so fantastic and unique though, so I may just need to buy a bag of frozen ones to make it happen.

The Duo Dishes said...

We're both big fans of sweet and spicy jams. They're so good with cheese and crackers or in sauces for fish or chicken. Yum.

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.