Share |

Muffin Mania


I know I know I'm on a total muffin kick lately! I just love them though, so portable, and a great snack! This is a recipe for a more traditional blueberry muffin that I made up using lemon fat free or low fat yogurt as the base. Totally love how moist these muffins are! I added a crumble topping from the Recipe Round Robin I participated in, and I now dub these my new favorite traditional blueberry muffin! Hands down baby! It's got it all, moist tender center packed with blueberries, and a delicious crumble for some added sweetness on top!

Don't they just look delicious??

healthy AND tasty... that's how I roll

Blueberry Muffins
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup splenda granulated (or 1/4 cup white sugar)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1/2 cup apple sauce (I use unsweetened)
2, 6 oz containers fat free or low fat lemon yogurt (so 12 oz total) I used stonyfield farms low fat lemon this time SO GOOD
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
1.5 - 2 cups blueberries, rinsed and patted dry

topping
1 tbsp slivered almonds
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoons whole wheat flour
3/4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup uncooked regular oats

Pulse almonds 2 or 3 times in a blender or food processor until chopped. Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; process 5 seconds. Add butter; pulse 5 or 6 times or until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats; set aside.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray 12 muffin cups with pam.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl blend apple sauce, yogurt, egg and vanilla thoroughly. Stir the wet mixture into the flour mixture just until combined. The batter will be very thick.

Add the blueberries and stir gently. Divide the batter between the 12 cups (they will be very full cups) sprinkle with topping, and bake for 6 minutes at 425, reduce heat to 350 and continue cooking for 12-14 minutes, or until tester inserted into center comes out mostly clean. Cool completely on wire rack.

Nutritional Facts: via Caloriecount
Calories 119
Calories from Fat 19
Total Fat 2.1g
Saturated Fat 0.9g
Cholesterol 21mg
Sodium 57mg
Total Carbohydrates 21.2g
Dietary Fiber 1.2g
Sugars 6.2g
Protein 4.0g

17 chews:

Steph said...

I think I need to try making some healthy muffins. The closest I got was all bran one time, but I wouldn't exactly call those healthy with all the butter I added..haha.

Meg said...

I love that they are so healthy! Love your post title!

Pearl said...

those muffins look wholesome and healthy! i love how you used applesauce and yogurt instead of oil... that's so cool; my friend's mother would use banana sometimes, although i have heard people use the baby jars of prunes.

120 calories are you SERIOUS? These look incredible!

Dude, I like how your roll! These look incredible. I can't wait for our local blueberries. Totally making these!

Yum yum yum yum yum.

Amanda said...

yogurt and applesauce are always the way to go!

Sara said...

I love the look of the topping on these muffins! I went on a muffin kick a while back and made them almost every week. I haven't made them in months though, this looks like a great one to start with!

Tracy said...

It's a rare thing to have a moist healthy muffin ... I may have to try these!

Reeni said...

I love how you roll! They look delicious!!!

annie said...

I love muffin recipes that use yogurt for moisture--they come out so fluffy and delicious! I will be trying this one soon.

Astra Libris said...

Mmmm, these look fantastic!! I love how they contain all whole-wheat flour, and the lemon yogurt is a terrific idea!! I am ALWAYS on a muffin kick - please do stay on a muffin kick so you can keep inspiring me! :-)

test it comm said...

Those muffins look good and I like the healthier sounding recipe!

Marta said...

You've inspired me Steph! you know, I make muffins twice a week for the kids' breakfasts and I'm always starved for recipes. You don't often find new creative ones, so it's nice to come across one here. Plus, it's healthy. Yummy and healthy, just what I've come to expect from you :) Thanks for sharing it :)

Maria said...

Love the muffins. I am always looking for healthy ones too!

Unknown said...

These are wonderful muffins! I'm about to make them for a second time before a hiking trip to Big Bend. I think that I'll always use yogurt in muffins from now on. Instead of an egg, I used 1 T ground flaxseed mixed with 2-3 T water.

stephchows said...

Erin- it makes me so excited that you like them!! Great egg sub too!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.