Share |

A weekend of baking

John always asks me what I need to get done over the weekend, a normal person may say, get to the bank, do laundry... etc. I on the other hand say. "I want to bake like a mad woman... and read about how to learn to crochet, oh and maybe we can go snow shoeing!" All of which I accomplished, hooray! I must say though the baking started out great but ended a bit like a brick :(

First came the ginger soft cookies I adapted from a posting by Batter Splattered. This woman is my hero I love love LOVE reading her blog everyday. She's fantastic and I'm a total blog stalker of her. My recipe involves no butter and splenda instead of sugar and a few other tweaks, I'll post it up later I promise (with pictures!!) These came out DELICIOUS!! John and I inhaled them and not a one saw Sunday night.

Next on the list was banana bread to get rid of those brown bananas that were sitting on John's counter... They were calling to me I tell you. "make me into banana bread!!" In reality I think John purposefully does not eat two of the bananas each week in the hope I will see them and make them into banana bread on the weekend :) He's a sly one and I love him for it! :) You can find the recipe for this one below. So tasty!

I tried multitasking and made the weekly batch of poosta cookies (john's favorite chocolate chip cookies ever) at the same time as the banana bread. However the bread was sucking up too much of the oven heat and I under baked the poosta cookies a little :( such a blow!! I've made these literally every week for the last year and a half and something goes wrong??? How can this happen.) I was so saddened but then a bigger blow was yet to come!

What you may ask could be worse then messing up a recipe you make weekly for years??? Why I shall tell you! Attempting to bake bread for the first time and creating some pretty looking wheat stalks and a solid dense BRICK of a loaf of bread. hahahaha. Yes indeed it was very sad a day in the kitchen. I'll also post the recipe and pictures from this catastrophe, I'm sure you will enjoy and laugh in my defeat ;) OR you can write and tell me what on earth I did wrong???

More to come...



6 chews:

Unknown said...

What are poosta cookies? Are you going to post a recipe?

stephchows said...

they are healthy chocolate chip cookies I invented for John! I've made him a batch every week since we've started dating :) I will try to post it asap :)

Unknown said...

Healthy chocolate chip cookies? NO WAY! I love your blog- it's so cute.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph! OK, the key to great homemade bread...get a bread machine! They are awesome and your bread will come out great as long as you don't kill your yeast (no cold liquids with the yeast or you'll be making bricks again). I made a "raisin brick" this way.

With your liguids, make sure you at least have it at room temperature or your yeast is going belly up!

BTW, check your e-mail. I sent you something funny!

Ann :)

stephchows said...

they are healthy chocolate chip cookies I invented for John! I've made him a batch every week since we've started dating :) I will try to post it asap :)

Kendra said...

What are poosta cookies? Are you going to post a recipe?

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.