Share |

Cherry Macaroon Tart and Crochet Wiener Dog

So yesterday you saw my hamburger handy work when it comes to crochet... today I have a picture of the wiener dog I crocheted for my sister! Isn't he adorable!? Although his nose is a bit odd if you ask me... but that's what the pattern said to do so... oh well :D


Now onto more baby shower chow. For a dessert I made a cherry macaroon tart. I found the recipe over at ... ok looks like I forgot to bookmark where it came from... so if you are reading this and it's from your blog let me know and I'll add the link!

... Anyway... The macaroon part of the tart seemed a bit dry to me, if I make this again I'd suggest either adding more egg whites or maybe a little cherry juice to moisten it up. I'd also add more then 1/2 pound cherries, it seemed like it just needed some more and maybe that would help moisten it up! Here is the recipe as I made it.

notice the cute children's book decorations in the background :)

Cherry Macaroon Tart

1/2 pound cherries, washed
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 3/4 cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut (divided)
1 1/4 cup raw cane (or brown) sugar, lightly packed (divided) (i used brown)
scant 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
4 large egg whites

Preheat oven to 350F degrees with racks in the middle. Butter an 10" round tart pan (or rough equivalent) and line with parchment paper. Pit the cherries, tear each cherry in half, and set aside.

In a large bowl combine the flour, 3/4 cup of the coconut, 3/4 cup of the sugar, and salt. Stir in the melted butter and mix until dough is crumbly but no longer dusty looking. Press the mixture into the prepared pan (it should form a solid, cohesive base), and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.

In the meantime prepare the coconut topping by combining the remaining 2 cups coconut, the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and egg whites. Mix until well combined.

Evenly distribute most of the cherries across the tart base. Now drop little dollops of the macaroon topping over the cherries (use your hands it's more fun that way), and press the coconut topping around a bit into the spaces behind the cherries. Be sure to let at least some of the colorful cherries pop through the topping for visual flair. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the peaks of the macaroon topping are deeply golden. Let tart cool, and garnish by sprinkling any remaining fresh cherry halves across the top.

As I said above I'd either add more egg whites or maybe some cherry juice and more cherries to this to moisten it up a bit.

Chow!

I made this in a tart pan that had a removable bottom so it was super easy to take out of the pan

2 chews:

Anonymous said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie

Sophie said...

I'm Sophie, Key Ingredient's Chief Blogger. We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

Sophie

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.