Share |

Pink Grapefruit Sandwich Cookies


It's cookie carnival time again! Katie over at the Clean Plate Club hosts it! I missed last month... man where did August go anyway?? But I was able to tackle this months before the big move!! Yup I'm moving apartments, into a totally better place, much nicer, and not with crazy landlords who don't fix anything hooray! As per my usual I totally messed with the recipe to health it up :) Here is the original recipe if you want it.

When I first looked at the recipe I wasn't so sure about it... grapefruit in a cookie?? hmmm I donno... but I gave it a try and I'm so happy I did! These are so tasty and a nice cool summer treat.

I tried to trick John into trying one by not telling him there was grapefruit in it... yeah that plan didn't work...
john: *looking at cooling cookie sheet suspiciously* what are those?
me: I made cookies want to try one?
john: there's no chocolate... what are they
me: cookies for the cookie carnival blog thing I do, want one?
john: hmmm, why wont you tell me what's in them?
me: you'll like them want to try it? *notice I still wont tell him what they are*
john: nah!! *starts walking away, stops and turns with concerned look* wait does this mean you aren't making poose cookies???

hahaha and don't worry I made him poose cookies :)


Pink Grapefruit Sandwich Cookies

Ingredients for cookies
Makes 15 sandwich cookies.

* Grated zest of 1 Ruby Red grapefruit, plus 1/4 cup freshly squeezed juice
* 1/2 cup splenda for baking
* 2 cups whole wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 4 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
* 1/2 cup apple sauce
* 2 large egg yolks
* Pink Grapefruit Cream Filling

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a small bowl, combine zest with 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and remaining sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add apple sauce and egg yolks, and beat until combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in reserved zest-sugar mixture. Add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the juice, and beat to combine.

3. Shape into 2 Tbs size balls and flatten on baking sheet. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until edges are golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes. Transfer parchment paper and cookies to rack to cool completely.
5. Using an offset spatula, spread 1 tablespoon filling onto flat sides of half the cookies. Sandwich with remaining cookies, keeping flat sides down. Serve immediately or store in the freezer.

Ingredients for filling

* 1 cup fat free cool whip, thawed
* 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed Ruby Red grapefruit juice

Directions

1. In the bowl beat coolwhip and juice until light and fluffy, cover and place in freezer for 30 minutes or until set.

Chow!



3 chews:

April said...

I didn't make mine healthy, but these sounds really good too! I loved the flavor of the grapefruit!

Mari said...

Yours look lovely! I really liked these once I tweaked the recipe to my liking.

Anonymous said...

I made a lot of healthy things, but if I messed with cookies, I'd hear about it from my husband!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.