Share |

Banana Oat Cookies


I made these banana cookies this weekend and it was love at first bite. I'm already planning on making them again one night this week and shaping them into bars! SO FREAKIN GOOD! As per my usual, there is no oil or butter. These things are all about healthy, so moist, decadent, can't stop eating, I really wish I had some with me right now... ok you get the point! I can't believe how sweet these actually tasted considering the only sweet added is the bananas and the coconut, no added sugar here. Bring on the all natural baby!!

Did I mention there are flax seeds in these too? I'm currently having a love affair with flax seeds, I know it doesn't sound glamorous, but they are just so nutty and happy :) Neva can you eat flax seeds or are those an allergy too? Although I just realized these have both almonds and coconut in them :( I really am a bad friend constantly tormenting you with nuts galore! Sorry my dear :(

Go buy bananas now and stick them in a brown bag so they are super brown and happy by the weekend so you can make these!


Banana Oat Cookies or Bars
These are adapted from 101 cookbooks Nikki's cookies.

3 large, ripe bananas (the browner the better!), well mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup almond meal (almond slices + food processor for a few pulses)
1/3 cup flax seeds
1/3 cup coconut, finely shredded & sweetened
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup dried cherries or other dried fruit of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, racks in the top third.

In a large bowl combine the bananas, vanilla extract, and apple sauce. Set aside. In another bowl whisk together the oats, almond meal, flax seeds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the chocolate chunks and dried fruit. Drop Tablespoon-fulls, onto a Silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes.

Makes about 2.5 dozen bite-sized cookies. I'll let you know how many bars once I make these again.

you know you want to chow me ... go buy some bananas!

UPDATE: So I made these in bar form last night! I put them into a 9" stoneware pan and cooked them for about 30 minutes. I cut them into 12 bars and brought them to the office. The results: "delicious" "these are sooo goood" "mmmmm" I like those kind of reactions! Sounds good to me!

38 chews:

Natalie said...

Im so happy that my bunch of bananas are turning brown, because I am making these THIS week!

Pearl said...

oh my gosh - they are like, all the oatmeal and various toppings in cookie form! mm. :)

Oats are fantastic for baking!

NAOmni

Anonymous said...

These look scrumptious!

What stunning pics, Steph. I feel like I could pick one right off the screen and pop it into my mouth. Yum!

Love the bar idea...These would make nice oaty, snack bars.

Stef said...

Glad I found your blog! These look great...going to do some more looking around. I specialize in healthy clean eating too :-)

Maggie said...

These sound awesome! I love all the whole ingredients and of course big dark chocolate chips never hurt either.

this looks yummy for breakfast!

Reeni said...

Those look so yummy!! And without any guilt!

gaga said...

Yay, another recipe for me to try the next time my bananas get mushy. Thanks!

Emily said...

Wow, these sound fantastic! I love all cookies.

stephchows said...

Natalie- perfect! it was meant to be!

Pearl- Let me know how you like them!

Not Another Omnivore- Gotta love oats :) I eat them every day!

5 star foodie- Thanks!

Diva- thanks girl!! I love it when the photos come out well!

Duo- I know! I can't wait to make them into bars!

Stef- thanks for visiting!! I can't wait to check out your site!

Maggie- whole ingredients all the way! And I totally agree about the dark chcolate :)

The DeL Sisters- totally! These are my new mid morning snack :)

Reeni- guiltfree is the best way! only if they taste good though haha yum!

emily- Emily I hope you enjoy making some!

Marta said...

Wow! What a great healthy treat!!! Will try them for sure-o!
M

Maria said...

A healthy cookie, I am for sure baking these up!

Andrea said...

Okay, I am seriously going to make these next time I have too ripe bananas. My boyfriend loves banana bread, but we need a change. I love healthy bars like this, so perfect for breakfast and on the go snaking!

Anonymous said...

What's the carb count on these healthy cookies?

Great recipe! I'm including them in my meal-plan for the week over my blog. I found the awesome pic over on foodgawker. Keep up the good work.

stephchows said...

Susie what's the name of your blog so I can check it out? :D

I missed where to find the nutrition info. My first time at your site...love it already! P

stephchows said...

Hi Paulette! Welcome to the site! You can input ingredients at this site
http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I just input all the ingredients for these and if you make them in bar form and make 12 bars here are the stats!


Calories 141
Calories from Fat 55
Total Fat 6.2g
Saturated Fat 1.9g
Total Carbohydrates 19.9g
Dietary Fiber 3.7g
Sugars 5.9g
Protein 3.8g

Anonymous said...

I made these for a friend's film competition to keep everyone full and happy - They're DELICIOUS. They also keep VERY well in a sealed container. I suggest following the recipe as-is with no modifications.

Special K said...

Looks DIVINE!

Ashley said...

As a new blog follower I'm really enjoying going through your old post for baking recipes. Thanks for sharing these yummy treats!

Julie said...

Wow! these sound delicious! I am going to make these some time.

Bryan said...

WOW!

That looks so good, Will have to make them one of these days.

Julie said...

Wow! these sound delicious! I am going to make these some time.

waxupwaxoff said...

I made these for a friend's film competition to keep everyone full and happy - They're DELICIOUS. They also keep VERY well in a sealed container. I suggest following the recipe as-is with no modifications.

I missed where to find the nutrition info. My first time at your site...love it already! P

craftygal86 said...

As a new blog follower I'm really enjoying going through your old post for baking recipes. Thanks for sharing these yummy treats!

stephchows said...

Susie what's the name of your blog so I can check it out? :D

Marta said...

Wow! What a great healthy treat!!! Will try them for sure-o!
M

Jen said...

I made these for my 1year old (minus the chocolate chips) and she LOVES them frozen! she only has 4 teeth but has no problem eating these - great "teething cookie" and one that is healthy makes for a happy mum!

Why have I not tried freezing these! What a great idea!

anonymous said...

you need to change the last picture so that the white balance is the same in all of the pictures. It will make your blog look more cohesive and organized. 

Anonymous said...

actually, now after reviewing the pictures again, I feel like most of the white balances are different. If your serious about your blog, you should consider hiring a photographer.

Chiara said...

She is serious about her blog. I'm one of her many followers - it's really about food, nothing else, unless of course you are looking for a job...?

You are the best :) LOL I love that you saw this random guys comment and defended me. YOU ROCK!!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.