RRR Recipe Round Robin
So I participated in a totally fun event. It's a recipe round robin (RRR). It was hosted by Aleta over at Omnomicon. Basically everyone was given 2 recipes to try side by side and vote on which one they liked better. There were at least 5 recipes, I had B and E to try. In the end neither of the ones I taste tested won but you can read about the one that did here.
But now you want to know which one of the two I made won right??? Well here is the deal with the two I taste tested, they were both on the healthy side! Aleta you rock for giving me these two to try! So who won??
Was it recipe B?
Or was it recipe E?
I'll tell you, it was a close call. B was like a corn muffin with a blueberry surprise. E was more traditional with a healthy crumb topping... mmm crumbs.... In the end the crumbs won me over! The only changes I made to the original recipes was using whole wheat flour instead of all purpose. The recipes below each make a half batch (6 muffins) so double it to make a full batch :)
OK here are the recipes!
1/2 C flour (i used whole wheat)
1/2 C corn meal
3 tbsp Brown sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t cinnamon
1/8 t salt
3/4 C blueberries, I use frozen
1/4 c + 3 tbsp buttermilk
1 T vegetable oil
1/2 t vanilla
1/2 egg (~2 tbsp)
Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the blueberries and next 4 ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Drop the batter into a muffin tin. I use paper cup liners, if you don't have them make sure you've greased your muffin tin!
Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
Makes 6 muffins.
(Makes 6, 250 cals per serving)
3/4 cups all-purpose flour (i used whole wheat)
1 tbsp milled flax-seed
2 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
pinch teaspoon salt
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 tbsp lemon peel
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 large egg (about 2 tbsp)
2 tbsp honey
3/4 cups fresh blueberries (you can also use thawed frozen blueberries)
For the streusel topping (optional)
1 tbsp slivered almonds
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup uncooked regular oats
1. Pulse almonds 2 or 3 times in a blender or food processor until chopped. Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; process 5 seconds. Add butter; pulse 5 or 6 times or until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats; set aside.
2. Combine and dry ingredients in a large bowl then create a well in the center.
3. Whisk together soymilk, lemon juice, oil, applesauce and egg; add to well in the flour mixture, stir and combine and just moistened. The trick is to stir about 20 times, do NOT overstir.
4. Wash, drain and toss blueberries with 1.5 tablespoons flour and 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar in a colander. Fold in to flour mix, stirring to coat.
4. Spoon batter into muffin pans lined with paper cups till about 3/4 full.
To make streusel topping:
5. Pulse all streusel ingredients in a food processor until crumbly.
6. Sprinkle top of muffin batter generously with the topping, about 1/2 tablespoon for each muffin.
7. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown, the muffins are done when you insert a skewer in the middle, and no crumbs stick on the skewers when you remove it.
8. Remove immediately from pans, and cool on wire racks.