Apricot Sucanat Jam
We have over 30 people signed up for the jam exchange this year!! Thanks everyone for joining in!!! To celebrate the imminent arrival of lots of jam I thought I'd share this recipe with you. It's made with sucanat from wholesome sweeteners and it's delicious!
The only negative to using sucanat in this recipe is it changes the beautiful yellow/orange color of the jam to a more brownish color... but it tastes 100 times better than using white sugar... so I leave it up to you, beautiful color... or delicious taste? :)
by steph chows
8 cups chopped up apricots (pits removed) chop them into around 3/4 inch sized pieces
2 Tbs lemon juice
4 cups sucanat (divided)
1 package low sugar pectin
- Mix 1/4 cup sucanat with box of pectin
- Using a large pot, stirring constantly, heat 8 cups chopped apricots plus 2 Tbs lemon juice and pectin/sugar mixture over medium high heat until they reach a full rolling boil (bubbles still happen even as you stir).
- Boil 1 minute (keep stirring)
- Add remaining 3 3/4 cups sugar
- Keep stirring constantly and bring back to a rolling boil for 1 more minute
- Remove from heat
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal with lids and rings
- Place jars into boiling water for 10 minutes (use your jar tongs don't just drop them in)
- Remove from water and let cool overnight, do not bump them while they cool.
And of course here are some labels to put under the screw tops like I do!
click on the image to enlarge it, then right click and save to your desktop. Open and print to fit 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper!
So I'm actually off camping today... can't wait to share all the fabulous campfire recipes we come up with on Monday!