Share |

Rhubarb Muffins

I'm out of town this week so I have some fabulous guest posts set up for you! (I was trying to write to tell you all this on Friday but blogger wouldn't let me!) Today we have my best bud Jeanne!

When I met Steph a few years ago, we learned very quickly that we have a lot in common. Tons of our conversations started with a story and ended with: "Me TOO!" We have the same birthday (albeit a year apart), we have crazy curls, we swam tons as kids, we craft, we camp, we have a serious addiction to the library, and when it comes to baking, we can't leave well enough alone. Recipes are more like guidelines anyways, aren't they?


Now, I don't know about you, but I'm so excited for local summer produce to start showing up on my table. It doesn't get more local than when you pick it out of your own garden. Okay. I'll admit it, the only thing that is ready in my garden right now is rhubarb. And that's probably because it's a weed. But it's one tasty weed let me tell you. I love baking with it! In the past month I've made: Rhubarb cake, rhubarb crisp, rhubarb square, stewed rhubarb... But today I'm here to talk about a favourite of mine: Rhubarb muffins.
Wait... Is that heavenly music I hear? Hells yeah it is.


I got this recipe from my SIL, and while it was a pretty damn awesome when she made it, I just had to tweak it.

Original Rhubarb Muffins.
In a large bowl add and combine well:
2 Eggs
1 C Sugar
1/4 C oil
1/2 C plain yogurt or buttermilk
1 3/4 C chopped rhubarb

In a smaller bowl combine well:
2C All Purpose Flour
2 tsp b powder
1/2 tsp b soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon.
Combine wet and dry ingredients and fold together gently until just mixed. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 375F for 25minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.


What did I change? Just the normal substitutions. Reduced the sugar. Apple sauce instead of oil. skim milk. And what's up with 1/4tsp cinnamon? That's nothing!
Added MORE rhubarb. These are rhubarb muffins after all!! And when it's growing like a weed and you aren't paying through the nose for it, might as well use it, right!?



My Rhubarb Muffins.
In a large bowl add and combine well:
2 Eggs
1/2 C Sugar or a little more
1/4 C apple sauce
1/2 C plain yogurt or buttermilk
2 C+ chopped rhubarb

In another bowl combine well:
1C Flour
1C Oatmeal
2 tsp b powder
1/2 tsp b soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon.
dash nutmeg

Eat. Enjoy. Or like me, take it to a gathering of friends and get rave reviews! :)


What recipes do you normal tweak? How would you modify this recipe? Add strawberries?


Your email will never be displayed publicly, so don't be scared to comment! :)

6 chews:

YEAH!! Great guest post jeanne! You know I'd be changing up the recipe from its original too :) Thanks again for being a guest post!!

deeelish! i still haven't cooked with rhubarb yet, keep meaning to!

Tracy said...

I tweak almost all recipes, hehe. I'd probably add cardamom to these. :-)

What a great guest post! Thanks so much for sharing your muffin recipe, they look amazing. I usually (ok always) add more fat and sugar!! :)

AnotherStef said...

Looks great!  Have you ever tried subbing the FAGE 0% greek yogurt for the plain yogurt/buttermilk in the recipe? I love that it has 23g of protein per 1/2 cup - such an easy way to integrate protein while maintaining all the richness of the original recipe.  I do this with blueberry muffins regularly and am always looking for yogurt or sour cream muffin recipes that I can adjust.  Thanks for the recipe!

I'm a HUGE fan of using greek yogurt in baking and cooking! You're right
it's such a great source of protein and is so thick and creamy without all
the fat! :)

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.