Share |

The BEST chocolate cupcakes EVER


I've found cupcake heaven... it's true. Please ignore any other cupcake recipe I've blogged about because these literally TAKE THE CAKE!! They are so amazingly moist ewey gooey delicious... I can't stop eating them... and... no joke... they are under 80 calories a piece... I think I've gone insane, this recipe is heaven. I am so happy this months cupcake hero is cocoa because it made me go back to try to figure out what was wrong with my chocolate cupcakes. And let me tell you, I don't think I'll ever be making another chocolate cupcake recipe ever again because seriously these are THAT AMAZING!!!

Ok back to the cupcakes. I found a recipe for vegan chocolate cupcakes in Health magazine and used that as a base with a few added tweaks (yeah they aren't vegan anymore... wooops!) Due to budgetary restraints I decided to go with the Hershey's 100% Cocoa Special Dark I already had instead of buying the very expensive recommended cocoa... sorry Laurie :( which I'm sure if you substituted would be great... but seriously the Hershey's dark cocoa is delicious. Ok here it goes and enjoy!! Oh and everyone have a fantastic memorial day! Make some of these to celebrate! :)

seriously the best chocolate cupcakes I've EVER eaten

Fudgy Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 12)
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup splenda blend for baking
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup Hershey's 100% Cocoa Special Dark
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips (i used semi-sweet chips)
1 tsp cocoa and 1 tsp powdered sugar to dust cupcake tops

Preheat over to 350 F
Mix apple sauce, splenda, vanilla, beat in egg
In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa,
baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
Add flour mixture to wet mixture a little at a time, stir in chocolate chips.
Spoon batter into 12 silicon muffin cups (or lightly greased cupcake tins)
Bake for about 20 minutes or until tops are firm to touch.
Dust with cocoa/powdered sugar mixture.

Chow! Then have someone hide them so you don't eat them all :)

look how moist!!! and yes that is my 1950's style housewife apron (thanks mom!)... love it!


17 chews:

CB said...

If you say its the best, I believe you! I starred to try later. Thanks for sharing :)

stephchows said...

I can't wait to hear how you liked them! mmmmm I need to make more of them!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just made these, and you weren't kidding--these are fabulous! Honestly, I was a bit skeptical at first. I've tried numerous healthy cupcake recipes that claim to be moist and delicious, but they always end up being very dry and rubbery. Not these! These are very moist, and they definitely satisfied my chocolate craving! Thanks for sharing!

stephchows said...

Anon- I'm so glad to hear you liked them! I've been disappointed by so many recipes that are "healthy" and end up being gross and dry. I love these!

wwjdctr said...

I am new to your site. I was looking for chocolate chip cupcakes that my kids in my cub scout den voted as their reward treat. I was trying to find a way to make it healthy and taste good. I have gone exploring on other recipes on your site. I can't wait to try them!!! :)

stephchows said...

wwjdctr- I"m so glad you found me! I hope all your cub scouts love these as much as I do!

Anonymous said...

This is so good! I will make these all the time now, they fulfill my chocolate cravings, thanks!

hi steph...so glad you linked this to your valentine chocolate layer cake. i'll be making these babies tomorrow. can't wait!

hi steph...so glad you linked this to your valentine chocolate layer cake. i'll be making these babies tomorrow. can't wait!

stephchows said...

wwjdctr- I"m so glad you found me! I hope all your cub scouts love these as much as I do!

wwjdctr said...

I am new to your site. I was looking for chocolate chip cupcakes that my kids in my cub scout den voted as their reward treat. I was trying to find a way to make it healthy and taste good. I have gone exploring on other recipes on your site. I can't wait to try them!!! :)

stephchows said...

I can't wait to hear how you liked them! mmmmm I need to make more of them!

CB said...

If you say its the best, I believe you! I starred to try later. Thanks for sharing :)

Kelly said...

Can i use Hersheys natural unsweetened cocoa instead? I don't have the dark kind on hand. Would i need to up the amount?

I've used the same amount using regular Hershey's too so no worries subbing it out for it!
Sent from my iPad

Andrea said...

Sooooo Delicious! They stuck to the paper liners so next time definitely not using those but the actual cupcake was very tasty. Even though you know they are not as fattening as typical cupcakes, they taste like you are eating something really bad for you... and you wanna keep eating! Hard to believe it is made with apples! Thanks...So glad you posted this recipe!

I am so happy you like them! They are my go to recipe for sure! Love them and love how healthy they are and no one would even know it!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.