Share |

Iron Cupcake Earth - chili pepper


So I've joined another cupcake monthly challenge... IRON CUPCAKE!! Yes I know more cupcakes so tasty! Voting will begin on Sunday, August 31st at 12 noon at NO ONE PUTS CUPCAKE IN A CORNER, and will be open through Thursday, September 4 at 12 noon. So everyone you NEED to go vote for my cupcake please please please! :)

If I win I get all these cool prizes... provided by:
ETSY artist CAKESPY, as well as to our corporate sponsors JESSIE STEELE APRONS; CUPCAKE COURIER and TASTE OF HOME

And the theme for Iron cupcake... a familiar one... Chili Peppers! We can use any kind of chili pepper, in any form... I chose the powder form... jalapeno powder (also known as chipotle powder) it isn't always easy to find, but wegmans being the best super market in the world carries it! I thought about what flavor combination would go well. I know the Aztecs are known for
hot hot chocolate... so I started there. I found an interesting recipe for a chipotle flourless chocolate cake... mmmm. But I wanted to add something to cool off the taste buds after setting them on fire! This made me looking for some kind of liquid based milky cream to drizzle on top... hmm what else goes well with chocolate... coffee of course... ahhhh an espresso cream perhaps!? yes yes that is it! The best part is it uses silken tofu as the base of the cream, that means it's healthy right? Ehhh not so much, this recipe isn't really bad for you but it does have a good amount of chocolate and sugar... not that that is a bad thing! In this case it's a very very tasty good thing! I was able to reduce the amount of butter though :) and I used sugar not my normal splenda since I was baking these for some very special ladies I work with and one is pregnant and I wasn't sure if she's steering away from artificial products or not. OK ok I know you want to know the recipe! Here it is!!


Chipotle Flourless Chocolate Cake
adapted from Simple Recipes
Ingredients
  • 5 oz. of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • Pinch of salt
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring occasionally until smooth.
  3. Whisk together the eggs and the sugar in a large bowl, and then slowly, a bit at a time, whisk in the melted chocolate. Add the salt and spices and taste, adjusting the spices if needed.
  4. Pour into 8 cupcake liner filled cupcake sheets (I didn't use the silicon ones this time but the paper cups) and bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Now for the Espresso Cream!

Espresso (French Vanilla) Cream
slightly adapted from myrecipes.com

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup firm silken tofu (about 1/2 [12.3-ounce] package)
  • 6 tablespoons fat-free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup brewed espresso(I used strong browed french vanilla coffee), cooled
Method
To prepare espresso cream, combine tofu, condensed milk, and 1/4 cup of brewed espresso in a blender; process until smooth. Chill.

Serve cream in a spoon or small dish next to the cupcake.


I love the idea of serving the cupcake unwrapped with a spoon full of the cream on the side... then your guests can pour as much cream as they want on top and chow!

The ladies I made these for had to say this...


"Yum with a Kick! Wow - I've never tasted anything like this before. Spicy and the espresso crème cools it down, just like you said. Thanks for the heavenly treat!"

"Amen to that! Definitely the highlight of my day. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness!"

Hope everyone loves this one as much as I do!!


Chow!!

1 chews:

This sounds right up Thad's alley - will have to try. Remind us when voting gets closer!

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.