Share |

Whole wheat biscotti

Sometimes I see a recipe, add it to my goggle notebook... and it sits there for months before I make it. Other times I see a recipe, add it, and then make it that same night. This was the case with TWO recipes this week. Monday night was a mad dash home from the gym to make whole wheat oatmeal bread (more on that later) and then Tuesday night was a dash to make these whole wheat biscotti that my mom sent me a link to.

Here's the funny thing. I'm not a huge biscotti fan, and I've never made them before... yet for some reason I was compelled to go and make these ASAP! Maybe it was because my mom sent me the link... maybe it was something in the air...

maybe I'm just a big weirdo...

yup probably the last one :)

I sent this picture to my sister and mom after making them declaring them YUM!


My sister promptly wrote back:
"Don't take this the wrong way, but that biscotti looks as dry as a brick! My teeth hurt just looking at it ;)"

Ahh sisterly love! Thanks Jen :D Biscotti are supposed to be dry right?? I mean you bake them twice... and they are meant for dipping in coffee right???

I called John later that night and told him I made some without raisins for him (remember the muffin incident... yeah didn't want that happening again LOL). He then asked if they were dipped in chocolate...
nope no chocolate...
then why are you asking if I want to try them?
because I made half the batch without raisins for YOU so you sir will be trying them
oh, in that case, yes I'd love to try some

Here's the recipe! You can easily add in whatever you like (I'm going to toss some coconut in next time) and hey if you want to dip these in chocolate once they are done baking... go for it! John will certainly be your friend if you do :)


Whole Wheat Biscotti
recipe from Martha Stewart

* vegetable oil, for baking sheet (I used pam spray)
* 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, spooned and leveled
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for work surface
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup walnut halves ( I used sunflower seeds)
* 1/4 cup golden raisins (I used normal raisins)
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with oil; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt; stir in walnuts and raisins. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Add to flour mixture; stir just until combined.
3. On a lightly floured surface, with floured hands, pat dough into a loaf about 1 inch thick, 2 1/2 inches wide (and about 7 inches long); transfer to baking sheet. Bake until risen and firm, 20 to 25 minutes; cool completely on sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
4. Place loaf on a cutting board, and using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch-thick slices; place slices in a single layer on sheet. Bake, turning once, until dried and slightly golden, 25 to 30 minutes; cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 month.



What recipe have you made recently that you saw and made all in the same day? Or is it just me who does that :D

14 chews:

your biscotti looks wonderful, i sometimes get the need to cook, but mostly make myself he he

Anonymous said...

Delicious looking biscotti!

Unknown said...

1. no, no one does that
2. yes, you are a weirdo
3. smooch!

stephchows said...

Chow and Chatter - but it's awesome that you make yourself cook such healthy meals! Good job!! It would be so easy to give in and just grab take out.

5 star foodie- thanks! Tell my sister that haha

lynchdom- awww you are such a sweetie :) lol

Pearl said...

i have never made biscotti before but your whole wheat recipe sounds fantastic!

Anne said...

Ooh, I've never made biscotti before! Those look great :D

Also never made biscotti before, but definitely want to try. Doesn't seem too bad.

I love homemade biscotti and I love that these are whole wheat! I'd probably add some dried cranberries or cherries in place of the raisins ... I'm still with John on that score! LOL

Oh, and I have to disagree with your sis, they look perfect, Steph!

Steph said...

I've never had homemade biscotti before. I think the Costco biscotti scared me away..haha. You always tempt me in trying out whole wheat flour.

Natalie said...

Ymmm! These look good, I love snacking on biscottis while drinking coffee.

Anonymous said...

these look aweseome steph! I'll have to pass you along another biscotti recipe that has won over a few non-believers. They're made with almond meal so they're not quite as hard as your average biscotti. I'll get back to you when I hunt down the recipe!

-Cait

Marta said...

I LOVE biscotti!!! the things, most people in North America don't realise that they are meant to be dunk. Yes, like a donut, dunk in your coffee so they soften up a bit and then melt in your mouth in a wonderful symphony of crumbs and drippings! I made biscotti for my office not long ago and I told them they needed to dunk them, and they were all convereted to biscotti-lovers!
Great healthier version here :)

Hannah said...

What a nice, healthy sort of cookie!

Anne said...

Ooh, I've never made biscotti before! Those look great :D

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.