Share |

Crochet love

Cancer Sucks. Chemo caps don't have to. Searching around for a cute chemo cap doesn't bring up too many results for crochet versions. I half wonder if people don't want to tout their creations as being chemo caps. It's such a negative word, chemo. But when a family member was diagnosed with lymphoma and told she would indeed be loosing her hair, the first thing I asked her was what color hat she wanted me to make her.


"How about white... and maybe a navy one too if you could?"
Happily can do.


I stumbled upon a new stitch recently in this book: 101 Crochet Stitch Patterns & Edgings. It's rather simple. 1 SC and then 3 DC all into the same spot, skip 3 stitches and do it again. The book worked the stitch back and forth, but I decided to try crocheting in the round and the wonderful twirling texture you can see above was the gorgeous result.


Sure you can make one of these for winter, but I think they work as a chemo cap too, made with lots of love and thoughts going into every stitch.

Crochet Chemo Cap
I used Red Heart Soft Yarn, worsted weight (4) and an H hook. This is worked in a round, no turning.

R1: Start by making a magic circle loop, make 6 SC into the loop, and then pull closed  – 6 sc.
R2: 2 SC into each SC around – 12 sc.
R3: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc] 6 times – 18 sc.
R4: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 2 sc] 6 times – 24 sc.
R5: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sc] 6 times – 30 sc.
R6: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc] 6 times – 36 sc.
R7: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 5 sc] 6 times – 42 sc.
R8: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 6 sc] 6 times – 48 sc.
R9: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 7 sc] 6 times – 54 sc.
R10: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 8 sc] 6 times – 60 sc.
R11: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 9 sc] 6 times – 66 sc.
R12: [2 sc in next sc, sc in next 10 sc] 6 times – 72 sc.

For the remained of the hat [SC plus 3DC into next SC, sk 3] repeat until hat is desired length and end with a slip stitch. (Each shell is going into the first SC of the previous row shell.) I did 12 rounds of this shell pattern for a total of 24 rounds from start to finish.



Your email will never be displayed publicly, so don't be scared to comment! :) Oh and make sure you type in your blog link so I can click over to you! There is a spot you can type it in.

13 chews:

Amanda Mac said...

LOVE that idea! So adorable as well :)

Jeanne said...

nice hat!!! Sorry about the need to make them.

Amanda Rose said...

What a wonderful reason to crochet. I never even thought about "chemo caps" before, but am very impressed by your creations!

Ashley Bee said...

What a sweet gift. My go-to gift when I don't know how to help is to make a casserole type dinner. I like when you can use a personal talent to spread some love like this.

Geraldine said...

Thank you for sharing your pattern, I look forward to adding it to the chemo caps I crochet in my spare time to donate.

Michelle you made my day with this comment! I am so happy you liked the pattern!! And it is so awesome of you for making the family all matching hats!! I hope they loved them and you had a great Thanksgiving!

Heather said...

Hi! I came across your cute pattern via Pinterest. I have made it a 'Bucket List' goal to crochet 100 chemo caps/hats. I will be making them in memory of my best friend from high school days, Reena Itty and Youtube Make-up artist, Talia Joy. I absolutely LOOOOOOVE your pattern! I love the fact that it looks semi-complicated, but it is soooo simple and pretty. I made one with a blue/aqua/white varigated yarn. I'm quite pleased with the final product. I've started my second one-all one color- pastel pink. Thanks again for a WONDERFUL pattern!

You totally made my day with this comment!! Good luck with the 100 hats goal that is amazing!!!! You rock!!!

Harmony said...

Are you joining these rows with a slip stitch or stitching in the round? Thanks! This hat is lovely and I can't wait to start on it.

Renee said...

will be making some for the Michigan chapter of crochet for cancer&will post finished hats on my raverly project page!

Witchy said...

I made this hat in a variegated yarn. It turned out gorgeous!
I'm currently making a few hats for a friend of mine who started chemo recently. I know she'll love it! Thanks!

Nance Freeman said...

I think she is slip stitching.

Heather said...

This pattern came up in my Pinterest feed today. I am a sucker for any pattern with texture. I will be making this for my next donation to Knots of Love. Thank you for sharing! :D

Want more chow like what you just read? You can click to subscribe to the feed, follow me on twitter, or become a fan on facebook! Can't wait to see you there!
Copyright © 2012 :: steph chows ::.